Much like Cinco de Mayo and Presidents’ Day, Saint Patrick’s Day is an imaginary holiday created by Americans to “honor someone who I think existed or something but I don’t really know,” which is truthfully just a way of saying “I want to get frat-boy wasted on a Tuesday and not have to explain to anyone the next day why I’m 5 hours late to work and my teeth are green.”
We love to party, and we love not feeling bad about it. So we celebrate being from another country (Saint Patrick’s Day), NOT being from another country (Independence Day), being Christian (Christmas), NOT being Christian (Halloween), being tolerant of other cultures (MLK Jr. Day), and NOT being tolerant of other cultures (Columbus Day).
So, in the time-honored tradition of Irish media outlets O’Buzzfeed and McUpworthy, here are my top 5 reasons I love Saint Patrick’s Day:
1) Lela looks adorable in green (or any color)
2) Lela laughs on Saint Patrick’s Day. She laughs every day, to be honest, but on Saint Patrick’s Day she laughs while wearing green.
3) Beer. Cheers to the idea of Uncle Sam and Uncle Saint Patrick drinking a thimble of lager together.
4) Lela’s pre-sneeze face is a great Irish tradition.
5) Lela’s post-sneeze face is a great American tradition.